Wednesday 15 April 2015

Modus operandi

This is my first blog, it's first post. I guess it's apt that I let you know my modus operandi, method of operation. It's appropriate to know of what I did and how I did it; acts speak for themselves.

The blog is named 'The Unreserved Compartment', the cheapest coaches of an Indian train - you can buy a general ticket or just hitch a ride for free - the compartment I travel. The blog is intended to be a travelogue, travel by the cheapest modes of public transport ( I use the word 'public' for those who say they can always ask for a lift from a passerby, for free) 

I travel alone, never check into a hotel, love street food. When I am on prowl, you could find me in a corner of railway platform or a bus station - unshaven, with unkempt hair, covered in dust, with smelly breath and armpits, charging my phone or camera. Well, that's me attracting the least attention. With me alone, I wouldn't mind taking an extra precaution to look like a junkie, assures me security, avoids untoward attention.

I intend to document my travel, so I do carry a simple point-&-shoot camera (which is a recent addition), which does a pretty good job and finds its place in my bag along with a toothbrush, one of the few things I don't forget to carry.

My Wildcraft bag with a back support doubles up as a pillow while I rest for the night. A sense of insecurity doesn't allow me to fall into a deep sleep, I wake up quite often - but it's worth it. I just have to pass a few hours while everything around comes to a halt for the day.

Biscuits constipate me. Parle-G which I would avoid otherwise, is my travel-mate. The first thing I have after attending mother natures call, is a pack of these - I now know for sure that I have time before the next call were to come. By the way, especially for a guy, urinals in India is quite free.

My Tupperware 1lt bottle finds no place in my bag as I travel. Any bottle you don't intend to dispose shouldn't be in your bag. When thirsty, I just buy a bottle of water, drink, dispose. IF possible and if a source of clean water is available then I refill. Simple psychology - if I have my Tupperware, I would think of refilling, probably tolerate thirst hoping to find a source of water to refill. Never be dehydrated.

I note down the places to visit, do some home work before I leave. I prioritize my destination based on distance and time it would take to travel between each of them. If I have five places in mind I decide, "Ok, now these three is a must, the remaining two - if time permits". This way I can accommodate a degree of uncertainty which comes with a public means of transport.

Saving the best for the last, I NEVER carry a smartphone. No Google Maps, no navigator, no GPS, my Nokia C2-00 keeps me in touch with my family, once fully charged it doesn't require charging for days (depending on how I use it). The thrill of actually being lost is the best. More importantly it forces you to communicate with people - the thing I love. I use the word 'communicate' and not 'talk' - if you need to get your way around, you need to overcome language barriers and communicate, not just talk. With 4000+ dialects in India, Hindi/English words do come handy, but the point is to communicate.

In the course of this travelogue, you may find mostly temples, historic sites, etc, not hill-stations and beaches. Such locations are best enjoyed with a crowd, I feel. Apart from (good or bad) pictures I shall provide info of the routes I took, the bus-route numbers (as of that day) if available. I shall recount interesting incidents and experiences, lets see how best I can use my English to engage you.

Hope the time you spend here, is worth having spent. Happy reading!!!

5 comments:

  1. Everything you do should be worth it. Very well written

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a test comment. See:

    https://productforums.google.com/d/topic/blogger/aFJoXSA8Bb0/discussion

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment.